Thursday, September 25, 2008

Birth story as promised!

Well here it is the ending of my pregnancy and the wonderful journey of parenthood. After our doctor visit Doug and I come home make sure I have everything packed and ready to go and relax. We decided that the next day we would drive into Tulsa together, he had a meeting and I had last minute things to do. After I drop him off I head over to Utica Square to look at birth announcements seeing if I could find anything I like, I am pretty particular. Anyway I get done there and head to another store to check out what they had and of course nothing I liked. Decide to stop at Sonic and grab some lunch, a coney (my loving craving during my pregnancy with him), I then drive over to Promenade Mall. The Motherhood store has a lip balm that I wanted and by then I was just killing time until Doug was through with his meeting. I park the car and feel a little weird, thought it was the coney, and proceed to walk into the main entrance, now here's the kicker. As soon as I get into the mall I feel like I need to go to the bathroom, duh, I'm nine months pregnant, not only that I felt like I peed my pants. I get into the bathroom and realize my water just broke and there is fluid and some blood all over me and on the floor. I am still not panicked until I walk out of the stall and see an older lady washing her hands I calmly ask her to help me because I think my water has broken. What does she do? Takes off out of the bathroom like a bolt of lightening. As I make my way out of the bathroom I sit on a bench and proceed to call Doug but his phone is off because of the meeting and then I realize I have the car. So I am trying to get the number of the district office from information when a security guard comes walking out of an office and then the lady also shows back up. We go into the office to look up the phone number and I am able to get a hold of someone who finally can get Doug and bring him to the mall, luckily he was only a few miles away. I tell the security guards I would like to wait in the car, not in any pain or having contractions. Yet they give me a towel and I end up walking by myself to the car and decide to start calling everyone. I call my doctor, who is out of town for the weekend, so I get some nut head who is covering for him and this is who I had to deal with during my labor. Doug finally arrives and we start to the hospital, I half jokingly tell him we may as well go home and get everything since I am not having contractions, he didn't think that was very funny. We arrive at South Crest, man do I love that hospital, and they start me on pitocin around 2:30 p.m., my water broke around 1:00, about 3:00 the contractions are starting to begin. At five I decide to have a pain shot because I didn't want an epidural, but I was already dilated to a five. I got another shot around six but they were making me so sick and the room was spinning everywhere and some had brought Doug something to eat and that smell also does a number on you when you are in labor. Finally by seven I was dilated to seven and not feeling the greatest, personally I think my labor was going way to fast and I couldn't take those pain shots anymore and decided to have an epidural and by 7:30 it was done. Not only was my epidural only working on half of my body it completely stopped my labor, so I was still feeling everything. This went on the rest of the night and every time that doctor came in I wanted to kick him in the head and I also did while I was pushing. Finally at 5:00 the nurse said lets start pushing and it took two hours to get him out, Doug and a nurse got thrown up on him the process. I tore pretty bad and have to have a lot of stitches but it was worth it. I still believe had I not gotten an epidural I probably would have had him before midnight as fast as my labor was progressing but I guess we will never know. Well that is Eli's birth story, we joke around saying he was proving the doctor wrong by not wanting to wait another week and he was born the day before his due date.

1 comment:

megan k said...

That's a funny story...