Sunday, September 14, 2008

Achieving contentment

We are currently doing a sermon series at church on contentment, today was part four "Our Part in Achieving Contentment" of our five part series, titled "Breaking Through the Barriers to Contentment". Personally for me each of these discussions has made me examine what is occurring in my life and how I can and should change it for the better. Today we covered Philippians 4:10-13(NIV).

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."


Just reading the scripture and listening to the sermon makes you want to realign your life by breaking down barriers that can sometimes get in the way of your thinking, your life's ambitions and your values. It makes you think, how am I contributing to my life and the lives of others? Am I good wife and mother? Am I giving everything to everyone I should or only what I feel comfortable in doing and holding back? What can I do to better myself and my family, how can I change our lives for the better? Not that I am complaining about my life, sometimes you just feel like you can do or give more, like something is missing in the picture. Not easy for you or anybody to do but it must be done to achieve contentment. How do you focus more of yourself and your spirituality, when as a wife and mom you also make sure your family is content as well? Yes the answer may be simple your family is happy and content if your are happy and content, right? To find out you must quit being occupied by life in general because you are not always able to enjoy the journey, sometimes you have to break away the barriers, whatever they may be and realign your life with Jesus.

We were given three things to do this week and I hope everyone does this not just during the week but everyday. First, we must take the time, renew your mind, and get into the word of Jesus. Second, spend time reflecting on your life's ambitions, whatever they may be. And finally, be sure to ask GOD to help you see the bigger picture. Not always easy tasks because everyday life can get in the way, but with a little determination we can't get through anything especially this. There are days when I don't even feel myself or want to get out of bed but I have a family depending on me and I must get up and get the day going. Sometimes I walk into church unsure of myself because everything seems to beat you down all at once and then throughout the service it is like a weight is slowly lifted off my shoulders and I see everything a little different. Sorry about the rambling but I wanted to share in hopes that it might help someone else reflect on their life as well and where we can all do better with the LORD in our lives.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I just found your blog again. I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I agree with your comments and it is always good to remember that the Lord can help us in all that we do. I really enjoy going to church and feeling uplifted by those things that are taught. I am glad you are such a family person. You seem like a great mom!!!