Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What would you do?

This morning I showed up to pick Eli up from preschool, as I am pulling up the kids are walking back into the building from outside. I notice Eli walking with his teacher and another little girl, but yet he is not wearing his coat. So hear in lies the question, "why is my son not wearing his coat when all of the other children are?" Obviously they were coming from the playground, me personally I thought it was a little chilly to be outside but that's just me. The teachers were wearing their coats, so it only makes since to put coats on everyone, right? Maybe this is just me being over protective, but I don't think so. When my car is telling me that it is 50 degrees outside you better believe there will be coats/jackets involved. Not only that, every single child's face was red and their poor little noses were running from the cold air. I can understand wanting the kids to go outside and play but be a little reasonable. They do have a very big gymnasium and all you have to do is walk across the hall from their classroom. Doug's right though, I don't know the whole situation and shouldn't jump to conclusions, but when he has a coat and everyone is wearing theirs, Hello common since people. And if he didn't want to wear his coat the teachers should tell them they will not be joining the class outside and will stay inside with the director. I don't think that is to much to ask, is it? I am not quite sure how to handle this, it upsets me that he didn't have a coat on when everyone else did and it was chilly outside. I told Eli if he doesn't want to wear is coat from now on he will be staying inside with the director and not going outside to play with his friends. I am not quite sure how to broach the subject with his teacher though. I don't want to seem overbearing but when your are wearing your coat please put one on my child. I don't want this to cause him to be left out, which it shouldn't, but common sense should be used especially by the teachers. These children are only 3 and 4 years old sometimes you have to make the decision for them regardless of what they say. I don't think I am overreacting, it actually still makes me a little mad just sitting here typing this. Maybe this is all for nothing and I just needed to get it off my chest but they always say a mother know best and I know what is best for my child.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I don't think there would be any harm in asking them to make sure he has his coat on before he goes outside. If it were me, I wouldn't even bring up the other day. Just say something like "Would you please make sure my kid wears his coat when he goes outside? He has been pretty opinionated on the idea at home and doesn't really want to wear it but please make sure he does. Feel free to let him know he won't be able to go outside with the other kids unless he has it on."

If it happens after that, then you could be confrontational. : )